VectorLinux 6.0 SOHO Edition
VectorLinux SOHO, as its name implies,
is a Linux distribution aimed at Small Office and Home Office users
- people who want the latest fully featured desktop environment and
applications but also enjoy speed! As of March 1st, 2009 the SOHO
version 6.0 is still in development and release of a final version
is expected by before mid 2009. In the meantime our SOHO 5.9.1 is
still available for download. VL SOHO comes provides you
- a choice of either a graphical or
text-based installer with great hardware detection. Install time is
only about 15-20 minutes on modern computers.
- KDE, a great looking and comprehensive
desktop environment, complete with a huge range of
- Fluxbox, a lean and mean window manager,
customized with the "wbar" launcher - for those wanting a less
resource intensive environment than KDE.
- The VASMCC user-friendly yet powerful
system administration utility.
- gslapt and slapt-get for easy, automated
package downloading, upgrading, installation and maintenance.
- either HAL or vl-hot, for automatic
mounting of external USB, Firewire and PCMCIA external storage
- OpenOffice 3 productivity suite.
- Business applications for personal
information, organization, finance, and databases.
- Powerful web development systems.
- Simple to advanced graphics editors.
- Complete Internet applications. In
particular we have preconfigured Firefox and Opera with PDF,
MPlayer, FlashPlayer and Java plugins.
- Multimedia and entertainment - for music
and video and web content streaming.
- Internet, Network Neighbourhood and
- Support for peripherals including
printers, scanners, digital cameras and fax/modems.
All of that comes with Vector Linux´s
trademark characteristics of being fast, light, well integrated and
stable. You can
view screenshots of VL SOHO at our website.We hope you
Vector Linux SOHO is the relative
"heavy-weight" compared to the Standard version of VL, and given
that it runs the KDE Desktop Environment, SOHO requires more space
and memory. While better suited for today's modern computers, SOHO
is significantly faster and 'bloat-free' than many other Linux
distributions running KDE or Gnome. That said, the following system
requirements are recommended for our SOHO version:
- Processor: Pentium III compatible or
better (so you may use an AMD processor).
- Harddisk: 3.6 GB for the system, plus
space for swap (virtual memory) and personal files.
- Memory: 256 MB absolute minimum, 512MB or
more for speed.
- Video card and Monitor capable of 1024x768
resolution and 24 bit color.
- Standard mouse, keyboard, sound card,
If you are ready to try our VL SOHO Edition
it is available for purchase from our CD Store. On the other hand
it is possible to add the KDE and OpenOffice packages to VL 6.0
Standard to approach closely the capabilities of VL SOHO.