Vector Linux Light provides a lean and
mean Linux system. It is optimized for use on older computers and
is surprisingly lightweight, fast and stable. Despite being "light
weight", it is a complete Linux workstation system, including
compilers, multimedia and office applications. The most recent
release of VL Light is still in beta development stage, up to
version Beta 2 as at February 25th, 2009. It is not recommended
that newbies install this system until it has been
VectorLinux Light is unlike smaller Linux
distros such as Puppy, DSL, Feather and others. Instead it includes
a full development environment for programming and compiling,
scripting languages, man pages, documentation, a complete console
based on bash (rather than busybox) and a huge array of typical
Linux command line utilities and software. It also has these
- a fun, fast and easy installer with good
hardware detection. Install time is only about 10-12 minutes on
- the latest IceWM and JWM window managers
with the PCManFM desktop manager - both are good-looking and fast
window managers which consume few system resources.
- VASM: a powerful system administration
- VASMCC: a user-friendly GUI interface to
- gslapt and slapt-get for easy, automated
package downloading, upgrading, installation and maintenance.
- HAL or vl-hot systems, for detection and
auto-mounting of USB storage devices, low resources.
- Opera browser.
- Many other Internet applications including
Pidgin, XChat, gFTP, Lynx, nmapFE, pyNeighborhood.
- vcpufreq: for reducing CPU frequency on
supported processors, mainly for laptops to save power.
- vwifi: a special version of WiFi manager
for help configuring various wireless cards and networks.
- MPlayer, Xine and xmms for multimedia and
entertainment - for music and video and web content streaming.
- vsmbmount: a Samba connectivity tool.
- vpackager: an automated system for
compiling ad packaging VL packages from source code.
- CUPS Printing System